Sama Vritti means “same fluctuations or movement”.
This is a pranayama or breathing technique that will help you to deepen your breath and control the fluctuations of the mind. This is a nice preparation for those moments where you feel stuck under water in the “washing machine” and you wonder when is your next breath.
There is a progression in the practice of sama vritti.
Sit in a comfortable position with the spine straight and vertical. If you need some support lean on a wall or sit on a chair. Close your eyes.
1) Observe your breath and pay attention to the length of your inhalation and your exhalation. You want both to have the same length. This can take already a bit of time. We all have a tendency to focus more on taking in or letting go.
2) When you feel it’s even, add the counting, inhale for a count of four, exhale for a count of four.
3) Later on your want to add the retentions, the count is 4/4/4/4
– Inhale for 4
– Hold your breath full retention for 4
– Exhale for 4
– Hold your breath empty retention for a count of 4
4) Come back to regular breath , observe.
Practice for at list 3 minutes. This a simple but efficient technique for stress management and general balance.